September is Baby Safety Month, sponsored annually by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA). This year, JPMA is helping educate parents and caregivers on the safe selection and use of juvenile products, while encouraging baby and children’s industry leaders to become safety ambassadors through public engagement.
As a Baby Safety Month Ambassador, Colgate Mattress is committed to helping parents understand safe sleep practices to ensure your baby’s first years are safe, sound and happy. This is a great time to reassess your routine to ensure you’re using healthy habits, best practices and safety precautions to keep your baby as safe as possible.
You’re going to be a great parent, and we’ll be right here with you so you’re not alone. Below are 5 must-have safety tips that every parent should check off their list.
- Check to make sure your car seat is installed correctly. Vehicle crashes are a leading cause of death and injury for American children and correctly used child safety seats can reduce the risk of death by as much as 71 percent. Unfortunately, almost 60 percent of car seats are not used or installed correctly. Safe Kids Worldwide offers virtual resources to check your car seat today.
- Before putting your baby down for a nap or for the night, remember that a firm mattress and fitted sheet are all you need for your baby’s crib. The threat of losing a baby unexpectedly is a harsh reality that can keep every parent awake at night. And unfortunately, more than 2,000 babies in the US die of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) each year. Remove blankets, pillows and toys from the crib and use a sleep sack on colder nights. Learn more about sleep safety from our friends at First Candle.
- Place your baby’s crib and other furniture away from windows to avoid serious falls or strangulation. Children can get caught in cords from hanging window blinds or draperies. The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends using cordless window coverings if possible.
- Remember to set your water heater to 120° F to avoid scalds. This will make sure that the water never gets to a point that could injure your baby. Learn more about burn prevention from the Mayo Clinic.
- Install working smoke alarm AND a carbon monoxide alarm on every level of your home, and in all sleeping areas. This is an important tip for not just baby safety, but family safety as well. And please test the alarms regularly to make sure they work.
Colgate Mattress understands that being a parent is the biggest responsibility you will ever have in your life. After all, as a third-generation, family-owned business – we’ve been there too! That’s why the safety of your baby is our top priority.
In 2020, Colgate Mattress was the first participant ever welcomed into the JPMA Certification Program in the Full-Size Crib Mattress program. For over 40 years, JPMA has helped parents feel confident in choosing safe products for their baby. The JPMA Certification Seal signifies a product meets the strictest safety standards in today’s marketplace.
For more safety tips, please visit the JPMA’s Baby Safety Month Center.