What to do when you are done with your crib mattress?
We have received numerous calls on where you can recycle your crib mattress.
Currently recycling facilities do not accept crib mattresses, but we have suggestions below on how you can donate, reuse or repurpose your crib mattress.
1. Donate your baby crib mattress to a shelter. Contact a local shelter to determine if they are accepting baby crib mattress donations. Colgate supports many women’s shelters with generous donations of crib mattresses to make sure that all babies have a safe place to sleep. If you know a shelter that needs baby mattresses, please send us their information.
2. Donate your mattress to local furniture banks where people in need can gather good, used products for their home. Colgate can help to direct you to your local furniture bank. Some cities have them, some do not have furniture banks.
3. Sell the mattress components to a recycler. You can actually sell the steel from Colgate innerspring mattresses to a local recycler. Colgate uses top quality American steel for the innerspring portion of the crib mattress.
4. Reuse the Coir Fiber in your garden, underneath your pet’s doghouse, as a welcome mat (good conversation starter) or even under your car to keep your garage dry!
5. Repurpose the cover as a weed protector in your garden or under the arts and crafts table to keep floor clean.
6. Repurpose the mattress as a backstop for sports (great for preventing baseballs from dinging your house or bruised noses from run-ins with basketball poles) .
7. Reuse the mattress as a doggie bed with your dog’s favorite blanket. Great option for getting Fido out of your bed or off the couch!
8. Store your mattress in your storm shelter or basement to use as head coverage if you live in a tornado prone area. CDC (The Center for Disease Control) recommends protecting your head during a tornado with household objects such as mattresses and blankets (http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/tornadoes/during.asp)
Colgate takes pride in the products we manufacture. Once your children have outgrown their baby mattress consider donating, reusing, or repurposing instead of sending it to a landfill. Colgate encourages donations to your local womens shelter or furniture bank. Donating your crib mattress is acceptable everywhere. The best way to protect the environment is to use a product more than once in its lifetime; set a great example for your children!