The fourth Thursday in November is one of the best days of the year. Thanksgiving has all the elements of the perfect holiday — you get to eat delicious food and don’t even have to leave the house if your family is hosting.
Every family has their own unique traditions, but giving thanks while enjoying classic dishes like roast turkey and pumpkin pie are some of our favorites. But before you pull up to the table to enjoy your feast, consider the opportunity this day presents to teach children about the important values of Thanksgiving, such as gratitude, health and family.
Here are five tips to teach important Thanksgiving lessons during the holiday:
- Let kids help make Thanksgiving wonderful. Whether you’re together or creating colorful paper turkeys, involving kids in the preparation or an activity is a great way to enjoy family holiday time. Don’t worry if the napkins aren’t perfectly set on the table or the potatoes have a lump or two — the experience of making warm Thanksgiving memories is worth it.
- Share family traditions and passed down stories. If your celebration involves multiple generations or multiple families, talk about traditions and your own childhoods. Stories about the good old days teach children about life and history.
- Talk about your Thanksgiving feast. Explain to children where food comes from and how it was prepared. Everyone can share what their favorite food is and why.
- Express thankfulness. Focus on the things you are grateful for by asking everyone at the table to say what they are most thankful for, and make a list to hang on the refrigerator or another place in your home to reread throughout the holiday season.
- Share and donate. Thanksgiving is a celebration of abundance and giving. Develop a tradition of giving to those who have less and involve children in contributing to a food shelter or other charities. This helps kids to be thankful for what they have. They also learn the importance and selfless rewards of helping others.
Most importantly, have fun and spread love this Thanksgiving. Enjoying one another is the top priority on Thanksgiving.
From Our Family To Yours Since 1955
Colgate Mattress is a third generation, family-owned business with a long heritage of crafting quality crib mattresses. We care deeply about the safety of your baby and stand behind every product we make.
We are most thankful for our loyal customers that continue to support our mission and look forward to serving our parent community for years to come.
From our family to yours, however you spend your day, we hope you have a safe, healthy and delicious Thanksgiving.