Every year 3,700 infants die due to sleep-related deaths
That’s more than 10 babies a day. Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is the unexplained death, usually during sleep, of a seemingly healthy baby less than a year old. Of those, about 90 percent of SIDS cases occur before baby hits the 6-month mark.
SIDS is sometimes known as crib death because the infants often die in their cribs. A great majority of these deaths could be prevented by following the Safe Sleep Guidelines developed by The American Academy of Pediatrics.
What does a safe crib environment look like?
Did you receive the most beautiful handmade blanket or precious stuffed animal from a friend or family member? We know you may feel the desire to let your baby sleep with their cute gift, but it is simply not safe.
Keep it clean and simple when setting up your crib. Here are a few tips to creating the safest sleep environment for your baby:
- The crib should not have bumper pads.
- Provide a firm mattress with a fitted sheet.
- Remove from the crib any stuffed animals, blankets or anything with soft surfaces that could possibly block baby’s airway during sleep.
- Lay your baby on his/her back.
- If the crib is near a window, remove pull cords or use cord shorteners on window dressings.
By following these simple guidelines, you can help reduce your infants’ risk of SIDS.
How can I help spread awareness?
During April and May, we are teaming up with First Candle to kick off the “Flip My Crib” campaign to help raise SIDS awareness and increase education for Safe Sleep Guidelines.
We need moms, dads and influencers to help model a safe sleep environment to generate visibility for unaware parents, grandparents and other caregivers and help them understand the vital importance of safe sleep practices.
“Flip My Crib” Contest
You can help us educate families on what a safe sleep environment looks like while entering into the chance to win a prize bundle valued at over $250, including a bag from Petunia Pickle Bottom, a $60 gift card for Blue Apron, a sleep sack and other educational toys for baby! Plus, for every photo submitted a donation will be made by Colgate Mattress to First Candle.
Here’s how to enter:
- Snap a photo of your safe-for-baby nursery or crib.
- Follow both @ColgateMattress AND @FirstCandle
- Comment using @colgatemattress and @firstcandle AND hashtag #FlipMyCrib in your post
The contest winner will be announced on Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 12th! We hope you will help us educate families so that we can reduce the number of sleep-related deaths in the US.
For more information and resources, please visit https://firstcandle.org/.