Big congrats – you’re having a baby! Or perhaps you’re hoping to be pregnant soon and are browsing names for your bundle-of-joy-to-be. So, what’s in a name, anyway? A whole heck of a lot if you ask us!
Naming your baby is harder than you might imagine. Will your partner agree with your top pick? What strong opinions do your parents have on the subject? What about the perfect combination that leaves you with less than stellar initials, like “RAT”, “DUM” or “IDK”.
To help you navigate this important decision, we’ve curated a list of 30 unique baby names that have an element of magic to them for the year ahead. The names listed below can work for any baby, regardless of gender.
- Asher – Inspirational in more ways than one, this Hebrew name means “fortunate, happy one.”
- August – Derived from the Latin word for “great, magnificent.”
- Aydin – This is a clear contender, meaning “enlightened, bright, clear” in Turkish.
- Boone – This name of French origin means “good, blessing.”
- Brodie – “Little ridge,” is typically a geographic Scottish surname.
- Chaim – When bringing life into the world, consider this Hebrew name that actually means “life.”
- Coen – A Germanic variant on the Dutch name Conrad. Its meaning is “bold advisor.”
- Darwin – The name means “dear friend” … so sweet!
- Davian – A modern take on David, meaning “beloved.”
- Emmett – “Universal” or “truth,” a name adopted from the feminine Germanic Emma.
- Gage – A French name meaning “oath, pledge.”
- Gatlin – Of English origin, meaning “companion.”
- Genesis – What better term for a brand new life than “the beginning?” This name has been growing on both the boy and girl charts!
- Holden – This option meaning “kindly, gracious” is well-recognized, but isn’t over-saturated in our society.
- Jair – Hebrew for “he shines.” We love it!
- Jasper – Babies bring so much joy to families, and this Persian moniker is accurately described as “bringer of treasure.”
- Kadence – Related to the Latin name Cadence, this means “with rhythm.”
- Kai – Hawaiian origin, meaning “sea.” Great choice for parents who feel at home at the beach!
- Landry – A natural leader. This name of Anglo-Saxon origin translates “ruler.”
- Leif – A male name of Scandinavian origin, meaning “heir.”
- Leland – This name of English origin means “meadow land.”
- Lyle – An English name representing “the island.”
- Maxton – This name of Latin origin means “greatest.”
- Merrick – This name means “fame, power.”
- Nova – The Latin take on this name is “new,” and is used for both boys and girls.
- Rocco – Meaning “rest,” we’re hoping that will also mean baby will be a good sleeper!
- Rowan – A rowan tree produces small red berries, and the name as an Irish last name means “little redhead.”
- Ryker – This name of German origin means “rich.”
- Silas – “Of the forest,” which pretty much means your baby will love the great outdoors!
- Zyaire – An African name meaning “river.”
Pitfalls to watch for when naming your baby
As we mentioned, August Sara Smith is a perfectly lovely name until you notice the initials. Whether you want to let initials stop you from using a name is your choice, but by checking them out first, you’ll avoid any rude awakenings later. Also, don’t overlook monograms, in which the last initial is flanked by the first and middle initials.
Sibling name pairings
If your baby is going to have an older sibling, or two, try this exercise. Say your baby’s potential name together with your other children’s names: “Rowan and Ricky, time for bed!” If the combination has a nice ring to it, great. If not, then you might have some thinking to do. You’ll be saying their names together … a lot!
Not all names have beautiful meanings, so this is another important thing to research. Luckily, it’s easy to find name meanings at BabyNames.com. Take a look before you set your name choice in stone.
Don’t let the potential pitfalls freeze you into indecision. What’s important is that you, and your partner, love the name. We are seeing more and more unique names every year, so choose the name you want. After all, it’s your baby!